The cemetery at Woodlands is situated on an open site at the western end of the town, with far-reaching views to the Western Beacon.
The initial scheme for 1731 plots was laid out by the old Plympton St Mary Rural District Council. When Plympton was incorporated with Plymouth, ownership passed to the South Hams District Council and finally it was leased to Ivybridge Town Council in 1987 on an Agency Agreement, which is reviewed every 10 years.
The cemetery is divided into two sections and the first consecration took place in 1887. This was followed by further consecrations in 1944, 1954, 1984 and 1992. The old section of the cemetery houses two Chapels, one of which is still in use today for services, should it be required by any local families. The cemetery is also the base for the outside Maintenance Department.
The Town Hall staff do their very best to answer enquiries and to make all visitors welcome, whether they are bereaved or trying to research their family history. For information on burials and other services at Woodlands Cemetery please click here for the Town Council's contact details.
Local Information >