Parks & Open Spaces
Please note that the volunteering events are currently on hold due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we hope to be back up and running as soon as possible.
Our Parks Ranger runs a series of volunteering events please click here to see the current programme.
If you would like to take part in an event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 893815.
The Town Council's chief physical assets aside from The Watermark and Town Hall are its wonderful open spaces, details as follows -
• Allotment Gardens – the Park Street site offers 28 plots and Filham Park over 100 plots. The Allotments are managed on behalf of the Town Council by the Ivybridge Allotments Association. The Association operates a waiting list for plots. For contact details for the Allotments Association please contact Ivybridge Town Council on 01752 893815.
• Filham Park, off Godwell Lane – 34 acres of country park including a car park, cadet centre, allotments, cricket pitch and clubhouse plus a 2 acre fishing lake which is a magnet for both anglers and wildlife. Day passes and Memberships are available for the lake from The Watermark Information Centre , Erme Court– or join the Plymouth & District Coarse Angling Club; Environment Agency Rod Licences are available from the Post Office in Glanville’s Mill precinct (telephone 01752 892623). This land was once part of the Filham Estate and some magnificent trees testify to its country house origins.
NB: close by (on private land) lies the old silver mine – rumour has it there is plenty of silver left but extraction is the biggest problem!
• MacAndrews Field, off Exeter Road – around 2 acres for informal recreation.
• Victoria Park, off Station Road – a lovely Victorian park of around 3 acres surrounded by mature trees and including a children’s play park, nature garden and youth shelter.
• Longtimber and Pithill Woods, off Station Road – a most beautiful 53 acres registered as Ancient Semi Natural Woodland (ASNW) with riverside pathways; the area is managed in a sympathetic and ecologically sound manner for the Town Council by Dartmoor National Park. Please click here to link to the Leisure and Tourism Page to find details of Walking in Longtimber Woods Under Section 4.1.
A Management Plan for Longtimber Woods is being developed with support from the Forestry Commission. The draft plan can be seen by clicking below, along with the summary of the objectives and vision which were discussed at the event at Longtimber Woods on 11th September 2016.
Longtimber Woods Management Plan
Hire of Parks and Open Spaces
If you wish to hold an event on Ivybridge Town Council land please refer to our publication Ivybridge Town Council Parks and Open Spaces Event Guidelines.
The Ivybridge Town Council Event Application Booking form is available to download here.
Significant recreational spaces in the town owned by South Hams District Council include -
• Erme Playing Fields, off Ermington Road – the home to Ivybridge Town Football Club and the South Devon Tennis Centre; includes a small children’s play park and riverside walk.
• Leisure Centre Play Park – a modern, well equipped children’s play park with disabled access.
• Skate Park, Leonards Road Car Park – a popular and well equipped facility.
• Woodlands Park, off Woodland Road – mainly laid to grass with trees and hedges predominating and a stream meandering through. Facilities include a children’s play area, a multi-sports area, a teenage shelter and a wildlife pond with platform pier to assist pond dipping.